Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Snow Haiku

wiping away
thoughts about homecoming ...
snow on snow


World Kigo Database (KOAN and Haiku)

Note: Wiping off thoughts alludes to a famous story about the third patriarch of Zen, Sosan:

Sosan approached Master Hui-ko (the second patriarch) and said to him: “My mind is possessed by thoughts. I beg you, Master, wipe away these thoughts.”

Hui-ko appeared surprised and Sosan away saying, “Go. Find your thoughts and bring them to me, then I’ll wipe them away for you.”

Sosan went outside. After some time he returned and said, “Although I’ve looked for my thoughts, I can’t find them.”

To this Hui-ko replied, “It seems then that I’ve done a good job ofwiping away your thoughts.”

-- an excerpt from The Book of Nothing, p.13