Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Featured Haiku: New Resonance 7

I am featured in New Resonance 7: Emerging Voices in English-Language Haiku edited by Jim Kacian and Dee Evetts and published by Red Moon Press (forthcoming in April)

Editors' Comment:

These compelling poems seek to have the reader identify with that most elusive of creatures, the changeling. The persona of this work is caught in limbo between countries, between cultures, even, seemingly, between selves. Everything is in flux, and the poet wonders how much he can reveal, and to whom. He tries on masks and marriages, discarding them as insufficient, seeks totems and tribes, but is left unfulfilled. Ultimately, who is it he tells? Us, the anonymous reader, though perhaps that is more accident than device, and what really has been revealed is nothing more than ink-stains, scattered like bats in the near-night.

Featured Haiku:


from one dream
to another . . .
butterfly

fortune cookies
on my New Year dinner plate
don’t ask, don’t tell

to tell or not to tell the secret day moon

Milky Way . . .
bit by bit I put myself
out of my mind

the bat
flitting here and there . . .
Chen-ou or Eric

after Fitzcarraldo . . .
I go around for hours wearing
the actor’s face

the distance between
my attic and the moon --
April rain

slowly I eat up a spring day quickly dissolving

mother and I
stand on Pacific coasts --
the same bright moon

these piles
of falling plum petals
no new messages

snow geese
cross the gray sky --
her wrist scars

peeling my pear
in a thin, unbroken spiral . . .
hometown memories

single married single again a rushing river

pressed roses
in The Art of Loving . . .
summer ’68

bats swirling
across the prairie—
ink-stained desk