Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Selected Senryu: Snowflakes Senryu

politicians
blah blah blah...
snowflakes

Haiku News,  June 12, 2010

Note:

Editor's Comment: This is an incredible piece of work Chen-ou! This is actually one of my favorite poems submitted by you. The juxtaposition here is outstanding. The use of “blah, blah, blah” really illuminates the image of snowflakes. Lovely work my friend!

James Tipton's Comment: Another nice one. I particularly like the “blah blah blah” of the politicians set against the more real and more beautiful world of falling snow. It reminded me when I first read it of Walt Whitman’s “When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer Speak,” in which a person patiently listens to the verbose professor:
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.