Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2022

In the same storm, and yet …

“The fortunes of Canada’s 59 billionaires have increased by $111 billion since March 2020,” an Oxfam International report finds. “That’s more,” says the female news anchor in an emphatic, high-pitched voice, “than the $109 billion the Canadian government spent on income support for workers.”

From the back of the noisy kitchen, the cook yells out, “Turn off that TV! It’s time to peel potatoes.” I go down to the basement to fetch three bags of spuds. Inching my way up the stairs, I fall under the penetrating gaze of a colleague from my former workplace.

a long lineup
at NewLife Soup Kitchen 
as rain turns to snow . . .
I'm glad we're masked
like familiar strangers