Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Friday, July 22, 2022

I am a Canadian

"I will not sit down. I will not shut up. I will not comply. I want my country back. The True North strong and free ..." sticking his head out of the window, a trucker chants while driving down the street to Parliament Hill. 

Between the intersection transformed into a mosh pit and Parliament buildings plastered with "no more vax pass," "fake news," and “the Great Resist” signs, a white man holds up a giant maple flag. He calls out to a convey of trucks streaming down the street, "Freedom, Canada United."

Under the slate-grey sky, downtown Ottawa echoes loudly with chants and slogans steeped in the language of the American Revolution. The GoFundMe page for freedom convoy truckers is showered with right-wing American donations.

Golden Arches 
in the storefront window
a homeless teen

a high-rise shadow
on the cardboard shelter
omicron winter