Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Now Liege Lord Tanka

This Brave New World, LIV

the adulterer
who once talked dirty on the phone
now Liege Lord ...
a man shouting Not My King
surrounded by policemen

NeverEnding Story, September 14 2022

Note: L2 refers to “Tampongate,” sometimes misogynistically called “Camillagate,” ... a secretly recorded conversation between Charles and Camilla in 1989, in which the Prince of Wales joked that he’d like to be Camilla’s tampon. See a transcript of the exchange, as provided by the Mirror. -- HuffPost, May 13, 2020: Prince Charles And Camilla's Infamous 'Tampongate' Chat Won't Make "The Crown:"It's the one scene the Netflix hit won't cover.

FYI: ABC News, September 14: As the UK mourns the Queen, police treatment of Not My King protesters is sparking freedom of speech fears. 


AddedThis Brave New World, LV

Oh god I hate this
as the "King" signs his name 
with a leaking pen ...
I recall his "my luck" laughter
in the leaked "tampon" phone call


FYI: The Guardian, September 13: ‘Oh god I hate this’: King Charles expresses frustration over leaking pen:

“Oh god I hate this (pen)!” Charles said, standing up and handing the pen to his wife, Camilla, Queen Consort.

“Oh look, it’s going everywhere,” Camilla said as her husband wiped his fingers.

“I can’t bear this bloody thing … every stinking time,” Charles said as he walked away.

Below is an excerpt from the transcript of the 1989 exchange Prince Charles and his mistress, Camilla, infamously known as "Tampongate:"  

CAMILLA: Mmm, so do I. I need you all the week. All the time.
CHARLES: Oh, God. I’ll just live inside your trousers or something. It would be much easier!

CAMILLA (laughing): What are you going to turn into, a pair of knickers? (Both laugh). Oh, you’re going to come back as a pair of knickers.

CHARLES: Or, God forbid, a Tampax. Just my luck! (Laughs)

CAMILLA: You are a complete idiot! (Laughs) Oh, what a wonderful idea.


Added: Game Show 2024, VI
written in response to Ted Cruz's Sep. 9 remark: Republicans are "lying" or "idiotic" if they dismiss Trump for 2024

a collapsed fence
among morning glory vines
Trump 2024

FYI: CNN, "The Point," September 9: Ted Cruz nails something fundamental about Donald Trump and 2024. And The Independent, September 15: Trump threatens ‘big problems’ for US if he’s indicted in stolen documents scandal

Speaking on the conservative broadcaster Hugh Hewitt’s radio show, Mr Trump said an indictment would not deter him from running for president because he would have “no prohibition against running”.

“But I think if it happened, I think you'd have problems in this country the likes of which perhaps, we've never seen before. I don't think the people of the United States would stand for it,” he added.


Added: reading between the lives and writing between the lines, XXVII

God, my country
just hard work, no handouts ...
in the spotlight
the mayor punctuates his words
with a gavel-on-the-desk gesture