Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Sunday, August 6, 2023

100 Square-Foot Freedom Haiku

Re-Homing in the Maple Land, I

another rent strike ...
this 100 square-foot freedom
with a skylight


FYI: A queen-sized bed is 33 square feet


Added: Re-Homing in the Maple Land, II

a mattress 
crammed into a space
at the top
of this spiral staircase ...
now a home away from home


Added: Re-Homing in the Maple Land, III

this old man thanks me
and his beagle thanks me too
with its tail wagging ...
then he replies, I feel more homeless
in the shelter system


Added: Re-Homing in the Maple Land, IV

in dim light
this windowless closet room ("renting for $800," CBC News, May 27)
my friend's new home ...
his looks when he first came out
in the Vancouver Pride Parade


AddedRe-Homing in the Maple Land, V

renoviction ...
this 80-square-foot shelter
on four wheels