Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Sunday, July 28, 2024

Chemical Queen Tanka

darkness between the stars
this sultry night my roommate
vanishes again
into the hive of drug addicts
to serve his chemical queen 



Added:

smell of summer heat
shards of glass and syringes
around the dumpster


Added:

the cardboard box
in a high-rise shadow
bread crumbs


AddedAgainst the Drowning Noise of Other Words, LXXXIII: "thousand-yard stare"

her thousand-yard stare ...
a young woman hugs a doll
dripping blood


FYI: "The thousand-yard stare or two-thousand-yard stare is a military phrase coined to describe the limp, unfocused gaze of a battle-weary soldier, but the symptom it describes may also be found among victims of other types of trauma."


Added:

a growth of moss
on the high fence between me
and my neighbor ...
could anything change
if I apologized first


FYI: This could be read as a sequel to my tanka below:

my morning glories
climb her white fence ...
between us
in the backyard
there's a new divide

Haiku Canada Review, 11:2, 2017