Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Monday, February 8, 2021

Special Feature: "American Carnage" on the Eve of the Senate Impeachment Trial

        This American carnage stops right here and stops right now
        -- Donald Trump, Inauguration Day, 2017

My Dear Friends:

On the eve of the Senate impeachment trial of the "Inciter-In-Chief" (David Remnick, The New Yorker, Jan. 9), I'm pleased to share this good news with all of you: 

American Carnage: The Rise and Fall of the Reality Show Presidencya collection of Japanese short form poetry about four years of life in TrumpLand, Coming Soon!

Here are the poems selected from my upcoming book for your reading pleasure: 

Go Trump graffiti
a stray dog
marking his spot

NeverEnding Story, January 23, 2017

bumpertobumperstrongertogether

Failed Haiku, 2:13, January 2017

Trump victory
the sky bursting
with crows

Failed Haiku, 1:12, December 2016

bald eagle's cry
cut off
Inauguration Day

NeverEnding Story, January 20, 2017

Not My President

In my dream, after the explosion of his twitter bomb, the fireball rises rapidly like a hot-air balloon into the sky, forms a mushroom cloud, and later the first black rain falls ...

on the sidewalk
outside Trump Tower
I p-i-s-s
and feel in my bones
old man winter

Skylark, 5:1, Summer 2017

A Stranger in a Land of Strangers

a bitter wind
after the inauguration
the white fence
between my neighbor and me
three feet higher

I peep through gaps in the fence
and see ... what do I see?

A dream house made up of words
and a neon sign on its roof,
flashing "Americans First."

I can't live in this promised land anymore.
The land is polluted by drunken words.
And the milk is sour, the honey tasteless.

Haibun Today, 11:2, June 2017

                                                                          to be continued ...

Happy Reading

Chen-ou