Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2020

It is what it is


It is what it is

"When you believe in God, he will not give you more than you can handle; when infected with doubt during a time of crisis, you should respond by seeking the right answer to your question," the pastor said in a firm, yet affectionate tone as he accompanied me to the parking lot. In the corner of my mind, God's words lingered, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

The following day, in the shadow of this one-hundred-year-old church, I pause to wonder, “Am I as strong in the eyes of God and his mighty power as a true believer?" The path to the church entrance seems long ... and narrow. The pastor starts preaching at this much-anticipated Sunday Service.

social distancing
versus spiritual nearing ...
sitting alone
on a long wooden bench
further away from myself

NeverEnding Story, March 15, 2020

Note: the following tanka is the sixth entry:

shelves wiped clean 
of hand sanitizers --
I have a footshake
with my new neighbor
behind his mask