Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Tuesday, October 8, 2024

A Corner of This Broken World

After a long pause, her voice cracking on the phone, my Israeli friend tells me, "I don't know how to calm my two girls. We're near the border, and they're frightened by the piercing sound of fighter jets constantly flying over our community. Sometimes, they can hear the boom, boom, boom from a distance just minutes after fighter jets fly past our house. I can only comfort them by saying that these are good booms. I feel guilty, I... " My friend hangs up the phone.

the sunset
in a blaze of orange and red
across the sky ...
Gazan children's faces raw
with fear of the unknown

Ribbons, 20:2, Autumn/Winter 2024


FYI: For more poems about the Israel-Hamas War, Special Feature, October 7Selected Poems for Reflections on "CeaseFire Now" and "Saving the Children"