Chen-ou Liu's Translation Project: First English-Chinese Haiku and Tanka Blog

Sunday, October 6, 2024

The Torah tells me

"Your brother's blood cries out from the ground, but no one, including my rabbi father, tells me that it also cries out from the blood-stained uniform I wear, from the memories I shared with fallen comrades..."

The twentysomething soldier pauses for a moment, looking intensely at the reporter. "Most importantly, no one tells me that there is other blood crying out from a hand in the rubble, from a mother with her dying baby, from my dreams ..." Angrily, he turns around and walks away.

"Together We Will Win"
fraying at the edges ...
sirens pierce the night



FYI: For more poems about the Israel-Hamas War, Special Feature, October 7Selected Poems for Reflections on "CeaseFire Now" and "Saving the Children"